Increased Government Support, Product Launches, and Huge Unmet Needs Drive the Global Orphan Drugs Market
Published: January 2018
- Code: MCP-7443
- Pages: 436
- Tables: 49
- Companies: 140
ORPHAN DRUGS: A RESEARCH BRIEF
The global market for Orphan Drugs is projected to reach US$225 billion by 2024, against the backdrop of rare diseases assuming new importance in public healthcare. Other major factors driving growth include recent developments in genomics and bioinformatics; continuous research focus on molecular genomic diagnosis of rare diseases; rising incidence of rare medical conditions, growing awareness and better diagnosis; and regulatory incentives to encourage the R&D and development of orphan drugs. The huge unmet needs and the untapped business opportunity are encouraging big pharmaceutical companies to focus on orphan drug development. The United States represents the largest and the fastest growing market worldwide, supported by favorable policies such as the seven year market exclusivity period offered to manufacturers by the USFDA coupled with the premium prices and full reimbursements commanded by orphan drugs. With regulations similar to the USFDA, Europe closely follows the U.S. as the second largest market. In Japan, introduction of the Orphan Drug Development Program enabled the entry of a number of drug developers, spurring the number of orphan drug approvals. In Asia-Pacific, population growth and the increasing burden of rare genetic diseases are encouraging regulation of rare diseases and orphan drugs on par with the developed economies.
- Better Understanding of the Electrochemical Processes of the Brain and Development of Disease-Modifying Therapies to Drive Growth in the Antiepileptic Drugs Market
- Ability to Offer Additive Benefits and Target Multiple Pathologic Processes Simultaneously Drive Demand for Combination CNS Therapies
- Development of Neuro Protective Drugs & New Alzheimer’s Drugs Engineered to Target Toxic Amyloid Proteins in the Brain to Support Long-Term Growth in the Market
- Increase in CNS Prescriptions for Pain Manifestations and Psychiatric Disorders to Benefit Demand
- Growing Focus on Healthcare Cost Containment and Rationalization Spurs Sales of Generic CNS Medications
Summary of Findings
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2016-2024
- Historic Review 2011-2015
Timeline for Analysis
- US, Japan, Europe, and Rest of World
Geographic Markets Analyzed
- Biologics, and Non-Biologics
Market Segmentation & Classification
- AbbVie, Inc.
- Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Amgen, Inc.
- AstraZeneca Plc
- Bayer AG
KEY RESEARCH DELIVERABLES
- Review of Industry/Market Structure
- Analysis of Trends & Drivers
- Insights on Macro Market Scenarios
- Market SWOT Analysis
- Latent Demand Forecasts & Projections
- Comprehensive Geographic Market Analysis
- Presentation Ready Facts & Statistical Data Findings
- Coverage of Major/Niche Players, Market Shares & Competition
- Coverage of major Company/Technology/Product/Financial Stories
- Extensive Product/Service/End-Use/Technology Coverage Where Applicable