Convenience, Privacy, and Cost Benefits Drive Proliferation of Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) Genetic Testing
Published: March 2017
- Code: MCP-6897
- Pages: 107
- Tables: 8
- Companies: 41
DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER (DTC) GENETIC TESTING: A RESEARCH BRIEF
The global market for DTC Genetic Testing is projected to exceed US$350 million by 2022, driven by declining costs of tests, ease of ordering a test, and growing prominence of personalized medicine. Another important growth driver is the emergence of the modern proactive patient with increased awareness about various health issues, for whom the ability to order tests from within the confines of one’s home offers savings, both in terms of time as well as healthcare costs. The United States represents the largest market worldwide. Increased awareness about genetic diseases, growing tendency among general public to identify early and either prevent or provide management of various chronic diseases, as well as technical and scientific advancements made in the field of medicine and science in general represent key growth drivers in the country. Asia-Pacific is poised to grow at the fastest CAGR of over 31% through the analysis period driven by growing awareness among consumers about various genetic tests offered, and the rising affordability of the middle class enabling them to order these tests.
- Consumers Self-Managing Treatments: The New Trend
- Non-Invasive Prenatal Genetic Testing – A Resounding Success
- DTC Genetic Testing Forays into the Field of Ophthalmology
- DTC Genetic Testing Gains Prominence in Cystic Fibrosis
- Regulatory Headwinds and Data Paucity Impacting DTC Genetic Testing Market
- Regulatory Restrictions and Privacy Concerns – Major Dampeners for DTC Genetic Testing
Summary of Findings
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2014-2022
Timeline for Analysis
- US, Canada, Japan, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of World
Geographic Markets Analyzed
- 23andMe, Inc.
- Ancestry.com, LLC
- Any Lab Test Now
- Color Genomics, Inc.
- Counsyl, Inc.
- Direct Laboratory Services, LLC
- Gene by Gene, Ltd.
- Laboratory Corporation of America® Holdings
KEY RESEARCH DELIVERABLES
- Review of Industry/Market Structure
- Analysis of Trends & Drivers
- Insights on Macro Market Scenarios
- Market SWOT Analysis
- Latent Demand Forecasts & Projections
- Comprehensive Geographic Market Analysis
- Presentation Ready Facts & Statistical Data Findings
- Coverage of Major/Niche Players, Market Shares & Competition
- Coverage of major Company/Technology/Product/Financial Stories
- Extensive Product/Service/End-Use/Technology Coverage Where Applicable