Growing Number of IDA Patients, Rising CKD Incidence & Expanding Indications Drive the Global Intravenous Iron Drugs Market
Published: September 2017
- Code: MCP-6464
- Pages: 165
- Tables: 77
- Companies: 21
INTRAVENOUS (IV) IRON DRUGS: A RESEARCH BRIEF
The global market for Intravenous (IV) Iron Drugs is projected to reach US$3 billion by the year 2024, driven by aging population, growing incidence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and the ensuing rise in dialysis patients. Long-term growth in the market will move beyond the field of nephrology. The need to address Iron Deficiency Anaemia (IDA) in oncology, gynecology, and gastroenterology will increasingly become important, given the high rate of unresponsive oral therapy in many patients. A major factor driving the preference for intravenous iron treatment is the inadequacy of oral iron supplements in achieving clinical efficiency and a parallel improvement in the safety of IV iron formulations which began with the development of dextran-free intravenous iron preparations. Few of the benefits driving the importance of intravenous iron therapy include faster increase in Hb levels, reduced risk of damage to the intestinal mucosa, and elimination of the limitations associated with iron absorption through the gut. Asia-Pacific is projected to emerge as the fastest growing market worldwide led by factors such as widespread prevalence of IDA as a result of poor eating habits; rise in physician office based IV iron infusion services; and robust growth of medical tourism in countries such as Taiwan, and Philippines.
- High Iron Losses in Patients With Renal Failure Brings Into the Spotlight the Increasing Burden of Chronic Kidney Disease as a Fundamental Growth Driver
- With Over a Quarter of the World’s Population being Anaemic, Prevention and Treatment of Iron Deficiency is Emerging into a Public Health Priority
- Growing Awareness Over the Health Hazards Associated With Obesity and the Resulting Increase in Bariatric Surgeries Drives Demand for Intravenous Iron Drugs in Postoperative Nutritional Management and Care
- Epidemic Spread of Cancer and the Rise in Chemotherapy Induced Anaemia to Promote Sales of IV Iron Supplements
- Rise in Cardiovascular Diseases and Correction of IDA in Pregnancy Spur the Need for Iron Therapy
Summary of Findings
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2016-2024
- Historic Review 2011-2015
Timeline for Analysis
- US, Canada, Japan, Europe (France, Germany, Italy, UK, Spain, Russia and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, India and Rest of Asia-Pacific), Latin America (Brazil and Rest of Latin America), and Rest of World.
Geographic Markets Analyzed
- Allergan Plc
- AMAG Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Daiichi Sankyo, Inc.
- Luitpold Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Pharmacosmos A/S
- Sanofi US
KEY RESEARCH DELIVERABLES
- Review of Industry/Market Structure
- Analysis of Trends & Drivers
- Insights on Macro Market Scenarios
- Market SWOT Analysis
- Latent Demand Forecasts & Projections
- Comprehensive Geographic Market Analysis
- Presentation Ready Facts & Statistical Data Findings
- Coverage of Major/Niche Players, Market Shares & Competition
- Coverage of major Company/Technology/Product/Financial Stories
- Extensive Product/Service/End-Use/Technology Coverage Where Applicable