Rising Awareness of the Brain-Gut Connection and the Resulting Focus on Maintaining Gut Health Drives Strong Growth in Demand for Prebiotics
Published: March 2018
- Code: MCP-6079
- Pages: 302
- Tables: 72
- Companies: 69
PREBIOTICS: A RESEARCH BRIEF
The global market for Prebiotics is projected to reach US$8.9 billion by 2024, driven by the surging interest in the potential of gut-based treatments for a broad range of diseases and the ensuing increase in demand for prebiotics fortified food & beverages. With clinical studies validating the positive impact gut bacteria have on overall wellbeing, nutrient absorption and immunity, demand for prebiotic products that help enhance the microflora ecosystem in the intestine are gaining immense attention. A wide range of products in the food industry are being promoted for intestinal/gut health, mineral and nutrient absorption and immunity including health drinks, dairy products, meat products, bakery products, infant food and pet food. Other major factors also driving growth in the market include surging popularity of functional foods; opening up of new applications in cosmetic formulations, health supplements and nutraceuticals; and growing popularity of prebiotics fibers against the backdrop of growing consumer preference for higher fiber consumption. Future growth in the market is poised to benefit from new scientific research studies and discoveries that continue to uncover new benefits of prebiotics such as appetite control in children and childhood obesity management by altering gut microbiota; and control of metabolic disorders such as type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases wherein improvement in gut microbiota revealed marked increase in insulin-signaling stimulation and in cholesterol reduction. Europe represents the largest market worldwide. Asia-Pacific ranks as the fastest growing market with a CAGR of 13.1% over the analysis period, led by factors such as expanding middle class population with high disposable incomes and willingness to spend on nutrient-rich, healthy foods; launch of new products; aggressive retail marketing, Westernization of food habits, and robust production and consumption of functional foods and beverages.
COMPANY AND INDUSTRY NEWS & STORIES
- DuPont Partners with APC Microbiome Institute to Develop Microbiome Solutions
- Kerry Group Acquires Ganeden to Complement its Existing Product Portfolio
- Deerland Enzymes & Probiotics Receives U.S. Patent Application for PreforPro Prebiotic
- Zelens Launches Z BALANCE Prebiotic & Probiotic Facial Mist Crafted for Supporting the skinís Natural Defences and Strengthening the Skinís Barrier
- JŔS by Julie Introduces Probiotic + Prebiotics Single Serving Food and Drink Mix, Infused with 2 Billion CFUís of GanedenBC30 Vegan Probiotics
OUTLOOK IN KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
- Food & Beverage ranks as the largest end-use market supported by rising awareness about the significance of higher fiber consumption and good bacteria in the gut to support a healthy digestive and immune system.
- Dietary Supplements is projected to be fastest growing end-use market driven by use of Prebiotics in wide-ranging applications such as nutritional supplements, food supplements, specialty nutrients and infant formulae.
PRODUCT DEFINITION & SCOPE
- Prebiotics are defined as non-digestible food ingredients (such as dietary fiber) that are food for the good bacteria (such as lactobacilli and bifidobacteria) present in the human body. Prebiotics help host-friendly bacteria to flourish, grow, and remain active. Scientists define prebiotics as selectively fermented components that enable particular changes, both in the activity and/or composition in the gastrointestinal microflora that provide important benefits to the health and well-being of the host.
TIMELINE FOR ANALYSIS
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2016-2024
- Historic Review 2011-2015
GEOGRAPHIC MARKETS ANALYZED
- US, Canada, Japan, Europe (France, Germany, Italy, UK, Spain, Russia and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, India and Rest of Asia-Pacific), Latin America (Brazil and Rest of Latin America) and Rest of World
MARKET SEGMENTATION & CLASSIFICATION
- Animal Feed , Dietary Supplements, and Food and Beverage
- Product Segments:
- Mannan-Oligosaccharide (MOS), Fructans (Fructo-Oligosaccaride (FOS), & Inulin), and Others
- Abbott Nutrition
- Beghin Meiji S.A.
- BENEO-Orafti SA
- Cargill, Incorporated
- Clasado Biosciences Ltd.
- CoŲperatie Koninklijke Cosun U.A.
KEY RESEARCH DELIVERABLES
- Review of Industry/Market Structure
- Analysis of Trends & Drivers
- Insights on Macro Market Scenarios
- Market SWOT Analysis
- Latent Demand Forecasts & Projections
- Comprehensive Geographic Market Analysis
- Presentation Ready Facts & Statistical Data Findings
- Coverage of Major/Niche Players, Market Shares & Competition
- Coverage of major Company/Technology/Product/Financial Stories
- Extensive Product/Service/End-Use/Technology Coverage Where Applicable