Shifting Consumer Focus to Health & Weight Management Drives Growth in the Global Fat Replacers Market
Published: March 2018
- Code: MCP-1850
- Pages: 303
- Tables: 139
- Companies: 39
FAT REPLACERS: A RESEARCH BRIEF
The global market for Fat Replacers is projected to exceed US$2 billion by 2024, driven by the obesity epidemic sweeping through the developed and developing countries alike; rising consumer emphasis on healthy weight management and the resulting increase in demand for low calorie, low fat functional foods. Benefits of fat replacers that make them vital ingredients in modern processed foods include promotes calorie control; helps maintain taste and palatability of low-fat foods; helps in weight loss and maintenance; and reduces risk of lifestyle diseases such as obesity, cardiovascular diseases and type 2 diabetes. Shifting dietary patterns the world over is therefore poised to benefit carbohydrate-based fat replacers, protein-based fat replacers, fat-based fat replacers. Protein-based fat replacers are finding widespread use in cream soups, pasteurized products, and baked goods, while carbohydrate-based fat replacers such as cellulose, maltodextrins, gums, starches and fiber find ready use in cheeses, salad dressings, processed meat and sweets. The trend towards healthy snacking is driving demand for fat-based fat replacers in the manufacture of chocolates, confectioneries, baked and savory snacks. The United States commands the largest share of the market given the fact that the country is home to the highest number of overweight and obese people in the world. As the largest consumer of packaged foods, the country also flaunts a large concentration of food processors. Asia-Pacific is forecast to emerge as the fastest growing market with a CAGR of 8.4% over the analysis period led by factors such as growing economies; rising disposable incomes; growing food consumerism; strong influence of western styled food; rising number of women in the workforce and a parallel increase in ready-to-eat processed food consumption; growing willingness to spend on low calorie functional foods.
COMPANY AND INDUSTRY NEWS & STORIES
- In a Move to Expand the Milk Replacer and Protein Encapsulated Fat Business, Milk Specialties Acquires Product Lines of Merrick Animal Nutrition
- With the Aim to Expand its Formidable Presence in the Market, DuPont Acquires FMC H&N
- Dow Merges with DuPont to Form DowDuPont™
- Ulrick & Short Introduces a New Clean Label Starch Fat Replacer, ‘Delyte 9’
- Ingredion Acquires TIC Gums, in a Transaction Valued at US$400 Million
OUTLOOK IN KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
- Carbohydrate-Based Fat Replacers ranks as the largest market supported by the growing preference for food & beverage products containing natural ingredients/additives.
- Protein-Based Fat Replacers Market is projected to witness the fastest growth driven by the capability of fat replacers to provide low calorie content and improve protein value of food.
PRODUCT DEFINITION & SCOPE
- Fat replacers are defined as substitutes of fats in food products which provide functional properties similar to fat but generally in lower calories. In a general sense, a fat replacer or a fat alternative is a food component used as a substitute for fat in beverages and food products. A fat replacer can considerably reduce calorie count as well as fat content in fat-modified food products without altering their texture and taste. A fat replacer can recreate or imitate all or some of the efficient characteristics of fat such as mouthfeel, texture, development, creaminess, odor, and absorption of essential vitamins and minerals.
TIMELINE FOR ANALYSIS
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2016-2024
- Historic Review 2011-2015
GEOGRAPHIC MARKETS ANALYZED
- US, Canada, Japan, Europe (France, Germany, Italy, UK, Spain, Russia and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China, India, and Rest of Asia-Pacific), Latin America (Brazil and Rest of Latin America), and Rest of World
MARKET SEGMENTATION & CLASSIFICATION
- Product Segments:
- Carbohydrate-Based Fat Replacers, Protein-Based Fat Replacers, and Fat-Based Fat Replacers
- Advanced Food Systems, Inc
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Ashland Global Holdings Inc..
- CP Kelco
- Cargill, Incorporated.
- DowDuPont Inc.
KEY RESEARCH DELIVERABLES
- Review of Industry/Market Structure
- Analysis of Trends & Drivers
- Insights on Macro Market Scenarios
- Market SWOT Analysis
- Latent Demand Forecasts & Projections
- Comprehensive Geographic Market Analysis
- Presentation Ready Facts & Statistical Data Findings
- Coverage of Major/Niche Players, Market Shares & Competition
- Coverage of major Company/Technology/Product/Financial Stories
- Extensive Product/Service/End-Use/Technology Coverage Where Applicable