Strong Engineering Interest in CNT Backed by Untapped Potential Value of the Nanomaterial in Modifying Polymer Material Properties & Geometries to Drive Growth in the Carbon Nanotubes Market
Published: March 2018
- Code: MCP-1507
- Pages: 191
- Tables: 74
- Companies: 35
CARBON NANOTUBES: A RESEARCH BRIEF
The global market for Carbon Nanotubes is forecast to reach US$10.3 billion by 2024, driven by robust R&D investments in carbon nanomaterials against the backdrop of spiraling engineering interest in developing advanced composites for manufacturing high performance automobiles, aircraft, industrial equipment, sporting goods, heavy machinery and tools and construction materials, among others. Few of the properties of CNTs that make them irresistible among nanotech researchers in diverse sectors include superior mechanical strength; excellent electrical and thermal conductivity; high tensile strength; lightweight with just 25% of the density of steel; unrivalled levels of flexibility and elasticity that enables significant deformation without damage; and good electron field emitters properties, among others. With improved understanding of the behavior of nanomaterials coupled with improving technologies to control nanotube production processes, CNTs are poised for an exciting period of growth, new discoveries and real world commercial applications. Developments in functionalization and synthesis methods for CNTs and a parallel rise in entrepreneurial opportunities will remain crucial for future growth in the market. CNTs in aircraft and automobile production will benefit from the optimistic outlook for aircraft and vehicle production. In the electronics end-use sector, CNTs holds potential over the longer term in overcoming silicon based barriers in miniaturization. Asia-Pacific represents the largest and the fastest growing market with a CAGR of 21.4% over the analysis period given the fact that the region harbors the fastest growing end-use application industries such as aerospace and defense; construction; automotive; healthcare and medical technology; electronics and semiconductors and energy generation; among others. The growth in the region will also benefit from the increased financial resources dedicated towards R&D and commercialization of nanotechnology and nanomaterials given its potential to revolutionize manufacturing, generate unimagined efficiency improvements and drive overall economic growth and competitiveness of emerging countries.
COMPANY AND INDUSTRY NEWS & STORIES
- Chasm Initiates Production of CNTs at 18,000 Square-Foot Manufacturing Plant Based in Oklahoma
- LG Chem Initiates Production of CNTs at Yeosu Facility in South Korea, with a Production Capacity of 400 Tons/Year
- Toho Tenax Launches a New High-Tensile, Highly Shock-Resistant Hybrid Prepreg
- Creative Diagnostics Launches High-Quality CNTs in Different Sizes & Surface Modifications to Accelerate the Development of Scientific Research
- Fujitsu Develops High-Thermal-Conductive CNT Sheets with World's Top Heat-Dissipation Performance
OUTLOOK IN KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
- MWCNTs Dominates the CNTs market supported by low cost of production and continuous technology developments in synthesis and fabrication.
- Aerospace & Defense ranks as the largest end-use market driven by increasing use of CNTs in aircraft component manufacturing and a wide range of military applications.
PRODUCT DEFINITION & SCOPE
- Carbon Nanotubes are large molecules of pure carbon that are lengthy and thin. They are produced like tubes about 1-3 nanometers in diameter and are hundreds to thousands of nanometers long. Carbon Nanotubes are 100 times stronger than steel. Carbon Nanotubes are efficient conductors of electricity and heat and also used as semiconductors depending on their structure and environment. They are strips of graph sheets rolled into tubes with carbon molecules at the apexes of the hexagons.
TIMELINE FOR ANALYSIS
- Market Estimates and Forecasts for 2015-2024
GEOGRAPHIC MARKETS ANALYZED
- US, Canada, Japan, Europe (France, Germany, UK and Rest of Europe), Asia-Pacific (China and Rest of Asia-Pacific), and Rest of World
MARKET SEGMENTATION & CLASSIFICATION
- Product Segments:
- Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes, and Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes
- End-Use Sectors:
- Construction, Aerospace & Defense, Automotive, Sports Equipment, and Others
- Arkema S A
- Carbon Solutions, Inc.
- Catalytic Materials LLC
- CHASM Advanced Materials, Inc.
- Cheap Tubes Inc.
- Chengdu Organic Chemicals Co. Ltd.
KEY RESEARCH DELIVERABLES
- Review of Industry/Market Structure
- Analysis of Trends & Drivers
- Insights on Macro Market Scenarios
- Market SWOT Analysis
- Latent Demand Forecasts & Projections
- Comprehensive Geographic Market Analysis
- Presentation Ready Facts & Statistical Data Findings
- Coverage of Major/Niche Players, Market Shares & Competition
- Coverage of major Company/Technology/Product/Financial Stories
- Extensive Product/Service/End-Use/Technology Coverage Where Applicable